Brig. Gen. Lance R. French serves as the Commander, Air Force Installation Contracting Center, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He leads more than 750 operational acquisition professionals responsible for a $55 billion contract portfolio. In this capacity, he directs enterprise-wide installation strategic sourcing efforts for the Air Force and oversees $9.1 billion in annual obligations in mission and installation requirements. His contracting authority extends worldwide across AFICC in support of nine major commands, 82 units and the U.S. Air Force Academy. Additionally, he is designated as the Commander of a Joint Theater Support Contracting Command upon activation. He also directs contract execution in support of the Defense Technical Information Center, Air Force Medical Readiness Agency and Air Force Civil Engineer Center.
As a career contracting oﬃcer, he has served as a squadron, group and wing commander. He has also served at major command, combatant command and Air Staff levels, and deployed in support of operations Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. French served as the Commander, Defense Contract Management Agency, Western Regional Command Carson, California, where he led a workforce of 2,500 contracting, quality assurance, engineering, and manufacturing acquisition professionals and support personnel across 12 primary and nine tertiary Contract Management oﬃces located across the Western U.S.
1995 Bachelor of Arts, Economics, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces
2000 Squadron Oﬃcer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Science, Strategic Purchasing, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, College of Naval Command & Staff, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Joint and Combined Warﬁghting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk Naval Base, Va.
2016 Executive Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2017 Secretary of Defense Executive Fellow, Honeywell Aerospace, Tempe, Ariz.
2019 Executive Development Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina
1. June 1995–July 1998, Acquisition Contracting Oﬃcer, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
2. August 1998–June 2000, Procurement Contracting Oﬃcer, Space Based Infrared Satellite System Program Oﬃce, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. July 2000–March 2002, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. April 2002–December 2003, Procurement Contracting Oﬃcer, C-130 Avionics Modernization Program and Halvorsen Loader System Program Oﬃces, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. January 2003–March 2005, Chief, Contracting Force Development, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. April 2005–June 2007, Staff Oﬃcer and Executive Oﬃcer, Oﬃce of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Contracting), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. July 2007–June 2008, Intermediate Developmental Education Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
8. July 2008–June 2011, Commander, 52nd Contracting Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany (June 2011–July 2011, Acting Deputy Commander, 52nd Mission Support Group, Spangdahlem AB, Germany)
9. August 2011–July 2012, Commander, Kandahar Regional Contracting Center, Regional Command-South, Kandahar Airﬁeld, Afghanistan
10. July 2012–July 2014, Deputy Commander, 7th Mission Support Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
11. July 2014–June 2016, Chief, Contract Management Branch, Resource Management and Comptroller Division, Capability and Resource Integration Directorate (J8), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. June 2016–June 2017, Senior Developmental Education Student, Secretary of Defense Executive Fellowship, Honeywell Aerospace, Tempe, Ariz.
13. June 2017–June 2020, Commander, Defense Contract Management Agency Lockheed Martin Marietta/Air Force Plant 6, Marietta, Ga.
14. July 2020–July 2022, Commander, Defense Contract Management Agency Western Region, Carson, Calif.
15. August 2022–present, Commander, Air Force Installation Contracting Center, Installation and Mission Support Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1995
First Lieutenant May 1997
Captain May 1999
Major Sept. 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2010
Colonel Nov. 2016
Brigadier General Frocked
(Current as of July 2022)