Col. Dale E. Harrell is commander of the 88th Medical Group at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He directs Wright-Patterson Medical Center, the Air Force’s second largest, with an annual budget of $138 million, employing a professional and technical staff of over 2,200 personnel supporting readiness, primary and specialty health care, and medical education missions across the installation. This 57-bed facility provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient health care for 62,000 beneficiaries, generating 309,000 outpatient visits, 4,200 same-day surgeries, 3,600 admissions and 35,000 dental patients annually.
Harrell is also responsible for oversight of physician and dentist training in seven residency programs, nurses in the Nurse Transition Program, and physician assistants, psychologists, social workers and certified nurse anesthetists in respective internship programs. In addition, he is in charge of training over 350 Phase II and Phase III enlisted technicians annually. Wright-Patterson Medical Center also serves as the Federal Coordinating Center and Patient Reception Area for the National Disaster Medical System.
Prior to his current position, he served as commander of the 78th Medical Group at Robins AFB, Georgia.
Harrell was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. In 1991, he enlisted in the active-duty Air Force, followed by a 2005 commission into the Air Force Nurse Corps. He holds a doctorate in nursing practice from Otterbein University and is board certified as a family nurse practitioner.
1999 Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of North Florida, Jacksonville
2001 Master of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner, University of Florida, Gainesville
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama (correspondence)
2012 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama (correspondence)
2015 Master of Operational Art and Design, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2016 Doctorate of Nursing Practice, Otterbein University, Columbus, Ohio
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama (correspondence)
2020 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 2005–March 2009, Nurse Practitioner/Element Leader, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Florida
(January 2006–February 2006, Nurse Practitioner, Medical Training Exercise, Joint Task Force Bravo, Soto Air Base, Honduras) (March 2007–July 2007, Nurse Practitioner, Expeditionary Medical Support, 506th Air Expeditionary Group, Kirkuk Air Base, Iraq)
2. March 2009–June 2012, Nurse Practitioner, 86th Medical Group, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
(June 2010–January 2011, Nurse Practitioner, Detention Center, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan)
3. June 2012–July 2013, Nurse Practitioner/Element Leader, 88th Medical Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. July 2013–July 2014, Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, 711th Human Performance Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. July 2014–July 2015, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
6. July 2015–June 2017, Family Health Flight Commander, 47th Medical Group, Laughlin AFB, Texas
7. June 2017–June 2019, Medical Operations Squadron Commander, 325th Medical Group, Tyndall AFB, Florida
8. July 2019–July 2020, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. July 2020–June 2022, Commander, 78th Medical Group, Robins AFB, Georgia
10. July 2022–present, Commander, 88th Medical Group, Wright-Patterson Medical Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Jan 3, 2005
Major March 1, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2017
Colonel May 1, 2020
(Current as of JULY 2022)