HomeNewsPhotos
  The following key words will search by those categories:  base events;  base exercises; people, WPAFB in the community 
 

Wright-Patterson Photo Gallery

Fairfield Air Depot
The Barling bomber hangar at Fairfield Air Depot was completed in March 1924 to house the bomber and other aircraft needing work. The hangar was on the north end of the flying field. Despite the bombers' early performance, the six Liberty engines could not lift the bomber high enough to safely cross the Appalachian Mountains to make an appearance at a Washington, D.C. airshow. In 1927, after well over $1 million authorized into the one prototype, Congress cut further funding. It was dismantled and put into storage until 1929 when Maj. “Hap” Arnold ordered it burned. The hangar would remain in use until 1942 when it was dismantled.

Download Image: Full Size (1.18 MB)
Tags: history
Photo by: Courtesy Photo |  VIRIN: 210720-F-ZS999-001.JPG