WPAFB Gate 15A to temporarily close due to construction
By Darrius Parker, 88th Air Base Wing Public Affairs
/ Published April 14, 2021
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio – Gate 15A on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base’s Area A, the access-entry point off State Route 844, will be closed to all traffic from 6 p.m. April 16 until June 17 for a construction project.
Base officials said it will improve security and traffic movement while providing better weather protection for 88th Security Forces “Defenders.” The $1.8 million project is scheduled to start April 19.
A number of temporary changes will affect gates 12A (24-hour gate) and 1A (Commissary Gate). Commuters should allow extra time in the morning to adjust to the new traffic patterns.
All drivers will see and need to be aware of these changes:
- Starting April 16 at 6 p.m., all Gate 15A lanes (inbound and outbound) will close until the project’s completion, estimated to be June 17.
- Ogden Avenue/Road C will become a one-way entry point from state Route 844 into the Air Force Materiel Command headquarters and Visitor Center parking lot. Motorists may access Gate 12A via Ogden Avenue, but they are advised to use Exit 3 off state Route 844 and take state Route 444 to avoid blocking entry to visitors needing base passes.
- Traffic leaving the AFMC headquarters and Visitor Center parking lot must exit using Ogden Avenue and Chidlaw Road. Drivers may turn left to enter the installation or right to exit via a right-turn only lane onto state Route 444. Vehicles cannot exit the parking lot on Ogden Avenue toward Gate 15A.
- All lanes at Gate 12A will be converted to inbound only (except the one outbound exit lane from Ogden Avenue) Monday through Friday from 6 to 9 a.m. Traffic will revert back to normal in/out operations outside these hours.
- From 6 to 9 a.m. weekdays, traffic exiting the installation must use Gate 16A or Gate 1A.
- Gate 16A, at the southwest end of Communications Boulevard, will be open to outbound-only traffic Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Traffic at the intersection of Chidlaw Road and San Antonio Avenue/Spruce Way will be affected. From 6 to 9 a.m. weekdays, motorists in the far left lane will not be able to merge right and may only turn left onto San Antonio Avenue. Drivers in the middle and right lanes (respectively) proceeding from Gate 12A may continue straight on Chidlaw Road (middle lane) or turn right onto Spruce Way (right lane).
Drivers will need to be cognizant of temporary detour and construction signs at Gates 15A, 12A and 1A as they navigate detours.
For information on gate hours, contact 88th Security Forces Squadron Police Services at 937-522-6533.