Michael Newman is the Director of Staff, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He defines, leads, and directs multidisciplinary mission support functions ensuring effective and efficient operations in Financial Management, Management Operations, and Plans and Programs for the Wing’s Science and Technology and Defense Health Programs mission sets.
Mr. Newman’s began his Air Force career in 1985 after graduating from The Citadel. He spent his military career as a Communications-Computer Systems officer in various assignments in fixed and mobile communications units stateside and overseas. He became a federal civilian in 2007 as the Information Assurance Officer/IT Operations Lead for the Human Effectiveness Directorate. In 2008, he became the Chief of the Computer/Network Support Division for the 711th Human Performance Wing as the Human Effectiveness Directorate and the USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, along with the Human Systems Integration Directorate merged to form the 711 HPW. In 2014, he became the Deputy, Management Operations, and in 2016 was selected to be the first civilian director of the Management Operations Directorate for the 711 HPW. On Sept. 30, 2018, Mr. Newman assumed duties as the 711 HPW Director of Staff leading all mission support activities supporting over 1,800 personnel advancing human performance in support of the war fighter.
1985 Bachelor’s, Mathematics, minor in Biology, The Citadel
1986 Squadron Officers’ School
1997 Master’s, Computer Resources and Information Systems Management, Webster University
1998 Air Command and Staff College
2008 DoD 8570 Information Assurance Professional Certification, COMPTIA Security+ Certification
2011 Level III, Information Technology
1. Jun 85 - Jun 94, Various Comm-Comp Systems Leadership positions, Group/Sq, CONUS and OCONUS
2. Jun 94 - Jun 97, Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
3. Jun 97 - Aug 99, Director of Ops/Chief Technology Officer, CCAF, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. Aug 99 - Apr 01, Director, PACAF Network Operations and Security Center, PACAF CSS, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
5. Apr 01 - Jul 02, Director, Communications and Information, 715 AMOG, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
6. Jul 02 - Aug 05, Chief, Communications-Computer Inspections, AFMC IG, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. Jul 05 - Jun 07, PM/Business Requirements Analyst, AFRL EBS Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. Jun 07 - Aug 09, IT Lead/Information Assurance Officer, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. Aug 09 - Jul 14, Chief Information Officer/Chief, Computer Network Support Division, 711 HPW, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. Jul 14 - Jun 16, Deputy, Management Operations, 711 HPW, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. Jun 16 – Sep 18, Director, Management Operations, 711 HPW, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. Sep 18 - Present, Director of Staff, 711 HPW, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio