CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT THOMAS R. CHRISTOPHER
Chief Master Sergeant Thomas R. Christopher is the Command Chief, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this capacity he advises the commander on training, readiness, and effective utilization and progression of all Airmen. He assists the commander on execution of a $2.1 billion Air Force science and technology program and an additional $2.3 billion in externally funded research and development. He ensures the commander's policies are understood and executed. He also serves as the primary advisor to the commander, technical directors, and senior leadership on behalf of AFRL's total force. Additionally, he assists in leading a government workforce of approximately 6,000 personnel in the laboratory's nine component technology directorates and the 711th Human Performance Wing at locations around the globe.
Chief Christopher entered the Air Force in 1988. His background includes squadron, group, directorate-level superintendent positions, and wing command chief positions. His assignments include bases in Texas, Colorado, Indiana, California, Florida, Virginia, and Oklahoma. He has also served overseas in Alaska, England and Japan and has deployed multiple times to Southwest Asia in support of various operations.
1988 Visual Information Maintenance Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
1992 Airman Leadership School, Grissom AFB, Ind.
1997 Associate of Applied Sciences, Electronic Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2000 Communications Computer Systems Operations Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2001 NCO Academy, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2002 Associate of Applied Sciences, Info Systems Management, Community College of the Air Force
2002 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2006 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 USAF First Sergeant Academy Symposium, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.
2010 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course
2014 Bachelors of Science - Occupational Education/Management, Wayland Baptist University
2014 United States Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, Version II
1. October 1988 - January 1989, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. January 1989 - May 1989, Student, Visual Information Maintenance Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. May 1989 - May 1990, Photo Maintenance Apprentice, Det 1, 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
4. June 1990 - March 1994, Imagery Systems Maintenance Journeyman, 305th Communications Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
5. March 1994 - May 1996, NCOIC, Imagery Logistics Quality Assurance, 9th Intelligence Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
6. May 1996 - July 2000, NCOIC, Multimedia Maintenance, 100th Communications Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, England
7. July 2000 - June 2003, 16th Special Operations Wing Communication Security Manager, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
8. June 2003 - July 2005, Superintendent, Wing Information Assurance, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. July 2005 - August 2008, Superintendent, Network Operations Flight, 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
10. August 2008 - July 2009, Superintendent, Mission Support Flight, 381st Intel Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
11. July 2009 - May 2010, Superintendent, Communications and Information Flight, Alaska Mission Operations Center, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
12. June 2010 - July 2011, Superintendent, 673d Communications Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
13. July 2011 - May 2012, Superintendent, 611th Air Support Group, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
14. May 2012 - September 2013, Superintendent, Mission Operations Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
15. October 2013 - May 2014, Superintendent, Communications Systems Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
16. May 2014 - April 2016, Command Chief, 72d Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
17. April 2016 - Present, Command Chief, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and Thirteen devices
1992 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School
1993 305th Mission Support Group Airman of the Year
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Communications and Computer Systems Operator Course
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Non-Commissioned Officer Academy
2002 16th Communications Squadron Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year
2003 16th Special Operations Wing Communication and Information Senior NCO of the Year
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2004 16th Special Operations Wing Outstanding Information Assurance Professional of the Year
2006 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy Course
2006 James M. McCoy, Academic Achievement Award, Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy
2006 1st Special Operations Mission Support Group Senior Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year
2007 Air Force Special Operations Communications-Computer System Senior NCO of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant 1 June 2010
(Current as of May 2016)