Colonel Christian Lyons is the Commander, 88th Medical Group, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As commander of the Wright-Patterson Medical Center, he directs the Air Force’s second largest Medical Center with a total annual budget of $138 million, employing a professional and technical staff of over 2,200 personnel supporting readiness, primary and specialty healthcare, and medical education missions across the installation. This 57-bed facility provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient healthcare for 62,000 beneficiaries generating 309,000 out-patient visits, 4,200 same-day surgeries, 3,600 admissions, and 35,000 dental patients annually. Colonel Lyons is also responsible for oversight of training of physicians and dentists in seven residency programs, nurses in the Nurse Transition Program, and physician assistants, psychologists, social workers, and certified nurse anesthetists in respective internship programs. Additionally, he is responsible for training over 350 Phase II and Phase III enlisted technicians annually. This facility also serves as the Federal Coordinating and Patient Reception Center for the National Disaster Medical System. Prior to assuming this position, he served as the Commander of the 20th Medical Group, Shaw AFB, South Carolina.
Pennsylvania native, Colonel Lyons was the Outstanding Military Graduate and a Distinguished Graduate of the United Stated Air Force Academy in 1996, and has served in a variety of clinical and leadership roles including: Chief of Physical Therapy, deployed Medical Operations Flight Commander, Fighter Wing Director of Staff, Legislative Fellow for a U.S. Congressman, Air Force Legislative Liaison in the U.S. House of Representatives, Squadron Commander, Deputy Group Commander, Senior Biomedical Sciences Corps Executive, and Executive Services Director, Interim Director of Staff, and Special Assistant for the Air Force Surgeon General. He is a residency-trained Doctor of Physical Therapy and has served Department of Defense beneficiaries as a tri-board certified therapist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy, Sports Physical Therapy, and Athletic Training.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Biology (Distinguished Graduate), United States Air Force Academy,
Colorado Springs, CO.
1998 Master of Physical Therapy, US Army/Baylor University, Fort Sam Houston, TX.
2000 Squadron Officer School (Distinguished Graduate), Maxwell AFB, AL.
2003 Master of Science in Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
2003 Sports Physical Therapy Residency Program, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
2007 Air Command and Staff College via Correspondence, Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2007 Doctor of Physical Therapy, Baylor University, Waco, TX.
2011 Air Force Legislative Fellowship (IDE), Georgetown University, Washington, DC.
2013 Air War College via Correspondence, Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2015 Health Care Executive Leadership Program, Interagency Institute for Federal Health Care
Executives, Washington, DC.
1. May 1996 - July 1998 - Student (AFIT), US Army/Baylor University Graduate Program in Physical Therapy,
Fort Sam Houston, TX.
2. July1998 - September 1999 - Staff Physical Therapist, 96th Surgical Operations Squadron,
Eglin AFB, FL.
3. September 1999 - July 2001 - Assistant Chief, Physical Therapy Services, 96th Surgical Operations
Squadron, Eglin AFB, FL.
4. July 2001 - May 2003 - Student (AFIT) and Resident, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
5. May 2003 - July 2007 - Assistant Chief, Physical Therapy Element, 6th Medical Operations Squadron,
MacDill, AFB, FL.
6. July 2007 - June 2008 - Chief, Physical Therapy Element, 48th Medical Operations Squadron, RAF
Lakenheath, United Kingdom.
7. June 2008 - July 2009 - Director of Staff, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom.
8. July 2009 - January 2010 - Medical Operations Flight Commander and Physical Therapist, 379
Expeditionary Medical Group, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.
9. January 2010 - July 2010 - Director of Staff, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom.
10. July 2010 - December 2011 - Air Force Legislative Fellow – IDE – Office of Congressman Michael McCaul
(TX-10), Washington, DC.
11. December 2011 - June 2012 - Chief, Congressional Enhancements, U.S. House of Representatives,
Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Legislative Liaison, Washington, DC.
12. June 2012 - June 2014 - Commander, 4th Medical Operations Squadron, and later, Deputy Commander
and Senior Biomedical Sciences Corps Executive, 4th Medical Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC.
13. July 2014 - August 2016 - Director, Surgeon General Executive Services and Unit Commander, Office of
the Air Force Surgeon General, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, VA.
14. March 2016 - August 2016 - Acting Director of Staff/Senior Executive Officer, Office of the Air Force
Surgeon General, Pentagon, Washington, DC.
15. September 2016 - June 2018 - Special Assistant to the Air Force Surgeon General for Trusted Care, Office
of the Air Force Surgeon General, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, VA.
16. June 2018 - June 2020 - Commander, 20th Medical Group, Shaw Air Force Base, SC.
17. July 2020 - present - Commander, 88th Medical Group/Wright-Patterson Medical Center, Wright-
Patterson AFB, OH.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Field Grade Physical Therapist of the Year, 2006
Command Physical Therapist of the Year, 2001, 2005, 2006
Outstanding Military Graduate, US Air Force Academy, 1996
Distinguished Graduate (Summa Cum Laude), US Air Force Academy, 1996
Member, American College of Sports Medicine
Member, American Physical Therapy Association
Member, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
Member, National Athletic Training Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 29 May 1996
First Lieutenant 29 May 1998
Captain 29 May 2000
Major 1 Sep 2006
Lieutenant Colonel (BPZ) 1 Jun 2011
Colonel 1 Dec 2018
(Current as of May 2021)