Colonel Michelle Ewy is the Acting Director and Detachment 14 Commander of the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), Arlington, VA. In this role she leads the management of the United States Air Force’s global basic research investment. AFOSR has a staff of 200 scientists, engineers and administrators in Arlington, Virginia and foreign technology offices in London, Tokyo and Santiago, Chile. In this role, Col Ewy ensures the success of a $500 million/year basic research investment portfolio and the transition of resulting discoveries to other components of the Air Force Research Laboratory, to defense industries and to other federal agencies. The office's annual investment in basic research is distributed among roughly 200 leading academic institutions worldwide, 100 industry-based contracts, and more than 250 internal AFRL research efforts.
Colonel Ewy received her commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps in August 1995. After her initial assignment as an Air Force chemist at the Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, she was selected to attend the Air Force Institute of Technology Civilian Institution program and earned her Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia. Her follow-on assignment at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) involved investigating microbial contamination of aviation fuel. Col. Ewy was then assigned as an instructor at the Air Force Academy in the chemistry department, followed by an Intermediate Developmental Education (IDE) tour at Argonne National Laboratory as an Air Force National Technical Laboratory Fellow. Concurrent with her tours at AFRL and the Air Force Academy, Col. Ewy also served two 120-day rotations as the Lab Chief of the deployed Aerospace Fuels Laboratory, Al Udeid AB in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. After IDE, she transitioned to the Air Force Office of Scientific Research and supported the Air Force basic research program, first as a Program Manager and then as a Program Element Monitor at the Pentagon. From the National Capital Region, she moved to Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX, and took command of the Headquarters Air Force Drug Testing Laboratory. Col. Ewy was then assigned as the Director of the Department of Research and Publications at the Air Command and Staff College. Following this assignment, she was a Senior Developmental Education student assigned to the Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. Prior to her current assignment, Col. Ewy was the Military Assistant to the Chief Scientist of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1995 Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Pa.
2002 Doctor of Philosophy, Chemistry, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Residence
2006 Air Command and Staff College (IDE), Seminar
2008 Air Force National Laboratory Technical Fellowship (IDE), Argonne National Laboratory, Ill.
2016 Master’s Degree, Strategic Studies, Air War College (SDE), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 2019 - present, Acting Director and Detachment 14 Commander, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Arlington, Va.
2. June 2016- June 2019, Military Assistant to the Chief Scientist of the Air Force, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
3. July 2015-June 2016, Senior Developmental Education student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
4. June 2013-July 2015, Director, Department of Research and Publication, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
5. July 2011-June 2013, Commander, HQ Air Force Drug Testing Laboratory, Lackland AFB, Texas
6. April 2010-July 2011, Basic Research, Program Element Monitor, Science and Technology Division, Deputy Assistant Secretary (Science, Technology and Engineering), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. June 2008-April 2010, Program Manager, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Arlington, Va.
8. July 2007-June 2008, National Technical Laboratory Air Force Fellow, Argonne National Laboratory, Ill.
9. May 2005-July 2007, Deputy of Operations, Chemistry Department, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
10. June 2004-July 2007, Assistant Professor, Chemistry Department, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
11. May 2006-Sept 2006 (concurrent with above), Laboratory Chief, Aerospace Fuels Laboratory, Deployed Location, Middle East
12. Aug 2001-June 2004, Senior Fuels Chemist, Air Force Research Laboratory, Propulsion Directorate, Turbine Division, Fuels Branch, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. Nov 2003-Mar 2004 (concurrent with above), Laboratory Chief, Aerospace Fuels Laboratory, Deployed Location, Middle East
14. Aug 1997-Aug 2001, Graduate Student, Chemistry Department, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
15. Aug 1995-Aug 1997, Environmental Chemistry Consultant, AF Center for Environmental Excellence, Brooks AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
2004 Air Force Research Laboratory Commander’s Cup Individual Award
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 27, 1995
First Lieutenant Aug. 27, 1997
Captain Aug. 27, 1999
Major Jan. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2010
Colonel Feb. 1, 2017
Current as of June 2019