Colonel Michael E. Phillips is the Vice Commander of the 88th Air Base Wing at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. The 88th Air Base Wing is the largest air base wing in the Air Force with more than 5,000 officers and enlisted Airmen, Air Force civilians and contractor employees. The wing provides support and services to the largest, most diverse, and most organizationally complex base in the Air Force including a major acquisition center, research and development laboratories, a major command headquarters, an airlift wing, and the world's largest military air museum. The base is home to more than 30,000 military, government civilian, and contractor employees and associate units.
Colonel Phillips graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in May 1995. He has commanded twice at the squadron level and held a variety of communications and cyberspace operations positions at the squadron, group, wing, agency and headquarters levels.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Phillips served as the Commander, Defense Information Systems Agency, United States Transportation Command Field Office, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. As commander, he led a 30-person team that is responsible for facilitating and providing DISA services and capabilities in support of the Transportation Enterprise.
1995 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1996 Basic Communications & Information Officer Training, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Distinguished Graduate, Communications Battlespace Management Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2007 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2007 Master of Science in Strategic Leadership and Intermediate Developmental Education, AF Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2010 Cyberspace Operations Transition Course (correspondence)
2012 Air War College (correspondence)
2012 SCOPE Eagle Senior Communications Leadership Course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
1. June 1995 – July 1996, Admissions Advisor, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. July 1996 – April 1998, Mission Systems Flight Commander, 14th Communications Squadron, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
3. April 1998 – June 1999, Executive Officer, 14th Support Group, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. June 1999 – August 2002, Chief, Satellite Communications, Air Force Command & Control & Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance Center, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
5. August 2002 – February 2003, Support Flight Commander, 89th Communications Squadron, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
6. February 2003 – June 2003, Chief of Communications, Air Mobility Division, Combined Aerospace Operations Center, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, then Al-Udeid Air Base, Qatar
7. June 2003 – February 2005, Information Systems Flight Commander, 89th Communications Squadron, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
8. February 2005 – December 2005, Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
9. December 2005 – May 2006, Deputy Commander, 789th Communications Squadron, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
10. May 2006 – June 2007, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
11. July 2007 – June 2009, Commander, 1st Communications Maintenance Squadron, 86th Airlift Wing, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
12. July 2009 – March 2010, Chief, Continuity of Operations Branch, Directorate of Network Services, Office of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. March 2010 – November 2010, Chief, Air Force Enterprise Information Services Branch, Directorate of Cyberspace Operations, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. November 2010 – May 2011, Network Operations Battle Captain, Command and Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate, United States Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
15. August 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 60th Communications Squadron, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
16. July 2013 – July 2016, Deputy Commander, 436th Mission Support Group, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
17. July 2016 – June 2019, Commander, Defense Information Systems Agency, United States Transportation Command Field Office, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
18. June 2019 – Present, Vice Commander, 88th Air Base Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1. Jul 2016 – June 2019, Commander, Defense Information Systems Agency, United States Transportation Command Field Office, Scott Air Force Base, Ill., as a Colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with Six Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with One Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and Seven Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association, Travis/Beale AFB Chapter President, 2009-2011
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association, Scott AFB/St Louis Chapter President, 2018-Present
Certified Project Management Professional, Project Management Institute
Certified Information Security Manager, Information Systems Audit and Control Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major Sept. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2010
Colonel Oct. 1, 2016
(Current as of August 2019)