WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio – February is Black History Month and Wright-Patterson AFB is recognizing the services and sacrifices made by African Americans throughout the month.
In 1926, Dr. Carter G. Woodson, founder of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History in 1915, initiated the celebration of the first Negro History Week, which corresponded with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. By the late 1960s, Negro History Week evolved into Black History Month after the civil rights movement and the growing awareness. In 1976, President Gerald Ford officially recognized February as Black History Month.
This year’s theme for Black History Month is “African Americans and the Vote” and the following events are scheduled:
- Financial awareness seminars – Throughout the month, seminars will be held to focus on improving financial awareness and knowledge on a variety of financial topics. The event is free, and lunch will be provided. Registration is required. Go to https://myetms.wpafb.af.mil/myetmsasp/main.asp to sign up.
- Feb. 3, 10 a.m. to noon at the USO – “Social Security and Retirement,” guest speaker is Theresa Busher from Social Security offices of greater Dayton and Springfield.
- Feb. 10, 10 a.m. to noon at the USO – “Retirement Readiness,” guest speaker is Jose Rodriquez from Rafi, Retirement Lifestyle Solutions.
- Feb. 18, 10 a.m. to noon at the USO – “Budget and Loans,” guest speaker is Kate Heffernan from Liberty Home Mortgage Corporation.
- Air Force Security Assistance Cooperation Directorate Black History Month Luncheon - Feb. 19, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Wright Patterson Club. Guest speaker will be Dr. Reginald Turner, Air Force Research Laboratory’s Strategic Planning Branch Advanced Programs and Planning Division chief. The lunch buffet is $18 for club member and $20 for non-club members. The event is open to anyone with base access. For tickets, contact one of the following:
Richard Scott, 904-0044, Area A, Building 233
Roberta Johnson, 674-3355, Area A, Building 210
Leola Lee, 674-0958, Area A, Building 210
Roland Parks, 656-1824, Area A, Building 209
Angela Brown, 257-0272, Area A, Building 1
- Step and Learn Luncheon - Feb 27, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Wright-Patterson Club. Come out and learn how to line dance, and try a sampling of soul food items. The event is free to anyone with base access. Registration is not required.
For additional information or questions regarding Black History Month, contact the 2020 Black History Month Special Observance Committee Chair, Brandy Pickens at (937) 656-7541.