Wright-Patterson Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > Smooth Move Checklist


Posted 7/30/2007 Printable Fact Sheet

This fact sheet is prepared by the 88th Mission Support Squadron Airman & Family Readiness Flight at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in support of the Relocation Assistance Program.  Please note that it is NOT an official checklist for outprocessing the base.  It is intended to serves as a useful resource to help all Airmen, base employees and their families plan their move.



___ Outbound Assignments (MPF) will schedule an appointment with the military member to begin the relocation process. The member will be required to complete:

___ Request for concurrent travel (overseas assignment only).

___ Obtain service retainability or service commitment for the assignment.

___ Verification of DEERS enrollment for dependents.

___ Request a sponsor if desired.

___ Request for authorization/information on shipment of pets.

___ Approval of educational clearance through child's school.

___ Approval for dependent medical clearance through Patient Administration.

___ Application for passports for dependents who will travel overseas.

___ Check immunization requirement with the Immunization Clinic for each family member.

___ If a dependent has a special medical/educational need, they must be enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). The EFMP is designed to ensure the availability of special medical and/or educational services at the gaining base. Outbound Assignments will assist the member with the preparation of AF Form 1466, to be completed as soon as possible.

___ Base Education - If you receive a PCS departure date that prevents class completion, call the Base Education Office as soon as possible. This will help to prevent adverse actions associated with failure to complete classes while using Military Tuition Assistance.

___ Compile a FAMILY RECORDS FILE (stored in a fireproof container) containing the following:

___ Birth certificate (original)

___ Immunization record (important to update)

___ Social security cards (mandatory for each child that is 1 or older)

___ Passport (if needed)

___ Naturalization papers

___ Child identification information file (photo, fingerprints, etc)

___ Adoption papers

___ Dependent identification card for everyone 10 or older

___ Marriage certificate

___ Divorce papers

___ Death certificates

___ Insurance policies (or list of companies, policy numbers, type of insurance, address, and phone number of the company or agent)

___ Powers of attorney (check expiration date)

___ Original wills

___ Bank books

___ State and Federal tax records

___ Car registration and titles

___ Deeds and/or mortgage papers

___ Professional licenses

___ List of stocks and bonds

___ Last Leave and Earning Statement (LES)

___ Spouse's and/or children's last pay statements if applicable

___ Resumes on member, spouse and each child who has one

___ Family address/phone listing of personal friends and family

___ Personal identification numbers (PIN)

___ Visit the Airmen & Family Readiness Center (AFRC), Bldg 2, Area C) to check out the brochure/ video on your new base and check with the Relocation Assistance Program for up-to-date SITES information. The more you learn about your new location (housing, schools, medical facilities, climate recreational activities, etc) the easier it will be on you and your family once you arrive at your new station.

___ Prepare the house for selling or renting.

___ Stop by the Airman & Family Readiness Flight to meet with a Staff member to create a personalized budget and get financial matters in order before the move.

___ Kids are people too. Include them in all family planning sessions. Listen to their concerns and let them know as much as you know about the move. Reassure them that they are not forgotten and will be included during each step of the relocation process.

___ If you are retiring or separating from the Air Force in the upcoming months, now is the time to think about searching and preparing for a new job if you haven't already done so. The Airman & Family Readiness Flight's Transition Assistance Program (TAP) offers a wide variety of services and computer programs to assist you in this effort. Offered are resume critique service, mandatory pre-separation briefing, a 3 1\2 day workshop/seminar. To set up an appointment or for more information, call 257-3592.

___ If planning a Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move start collecting packing material.



___ Orders will not be published if any of the following are pending:

___ PCS retain ability

___ Concurrent travel

___ Dependent medical clearance

___ Security clearance (most cases)

___ Call TMO (3-5 weeks notice) to schedule an appointment for a group briefing on the following items listed below. Spouses are encouraged to be present for this appointment so arrange for child care. If going Commercial Carrier, have a desired moving date in mind for each shipment. Be prepared to provide TMO with an estimated shipping weight for each shipment. Bring six copies of your orders for each shipment. If doing a DITY move, have four copies of orders.

___ Dependent travel overseas

___ Shipment and storage of household goods

___ Unaccompanied baggage

___ Automobiles

___ Movement of mobile home

___ Hold baggage

___ Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move Note: Contact Accounting & Finance to find out what costs will be taxable.

___ Visit your child's school. It is critical to the school that you notify them of the approximate date of your child's last day. Discuss educational concerns. Make a request to have the records ready. If you cannot get the records, get the address of the current school so the new school can write for them.

___ Special Needs Child's School Records (these are generally mailed to the next school due to the time and expense of compiling them):

___ Academic Achievement Reports (tests, report cards, transcripts)

___ Psychological Evaluations

___ Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Evaluations

___ Current and Past Individualized Educational Plans (IEP)

___ Behavioral/Social Evaluations

___ Vocational Evaluations (interest, skills, aptitudes)

___ Medications

___ If going overseas, start planning on when to ship your automobile, household goods, etc., in order to have them available when you arrive. Make an appointment with the Traffic Management Office (TMO) 3-5 weeks prior.

___ Check into pet travel arrangements if needed.

___ You are authorized up to 7 days in Billeting before your departure date. Call 257-3810 for reservations. Reservations are accepted on a first come, first serve basis without regard to rank. Orders are required for check in. Pets are not allowed.

___ Call Billeting at your new base to reserve space for you and your family. Inquire as to whether you need a copy of your orders prior to your arrival. Make certain you inquire about the policy for check in time and the guarantee of a room. Pets are not allowed, so ask your sponsor to make kennel arrangements.

___ Check with TMO regarding travel arrangements.

___ Discuss your orders with all members of the family and solicit feedback.

___ Call the AFRF (257-3592) to sign up for the Smooth Move Seminar. It is offered to all military members and spouses. Find out as much as possible about your new location. Ask AFRC personnel for assistance. If you are going to an overseas location, get information as soon as possible.

___ Check to see if the AFRF offers relocation programs for children. These programs are developed to be both enjoyable and educational.

___ Spouses seeking employment at their new location can stop by AFRC to receive career counseling, create/update a resume, learn interviewing skills and much more. Services are also available for other dependents.

___ Pick up education records at the education office (Bldg 50, Area B).

___ If you are living in base housing, go by the Housing Office to give notice of your intent to terminate your quarters. Make arrangements for pre-inspection and final inspection of your quarters. Obtain a copy of Housing's checklist for the inspection. Remember your BAQ (basic allowance for quarters) will not start until your quarters pass the final inspection and you finally terminate your quarters.

___ If you are residing in an off base rental, give notice to the landlord. Set a tentative date for the landlord to inspect your quarters after movers have packed your household goods.

___ If you are planning to live on base at your new station, provide the Housing Office with 2 copies of your orders and complete an advanced application for housing. They will forward your application to your next station, where that Housing Office will place you on their waiting list with an application date of the first day of the month prior to the month you will be arriving.

___ If you intend to rent or buy a house at your new duty station, contact that base's Housing Office for information on available real estate and area information. For the DSN (Defense Switch Network-military phone line) number of the gaining base's Housing Office, call WPAFB Housing Office, 257-6547.

___ If the military member is going on a remote tour, you will need to decide where the family will be residing until the sponsor returns. Visit the AFRC to receive valuable information for the family and to check into an available support group for waiting spouses/families.

___ Schedule a house-hunting trip. Commanders may permit up to 10 days permissive TDY (no cost to the government) to locate and secure housing at your new station. If you go house-hunting without the family, take lots of pictures, and pick up maps, brochures and flyers to share with them. This will give them the chance to visualize the new home more realistically with fewer fantasies and misconceptions. The children may be interested in the styles of clothes the kids wear, number of kids in the neighborhood around their age, information on the school they will be attending, and popular activities nearby.

___ Start cleaning out junk drawers and closets. Plan for a garage sale. Take items to the Thrift Shop.


___ Dental care - complete final examinations and work.

___ Eye care - Complete final examination and work.

___ Check your home owners or renters insurance to determine the scope of transit coverage. Some policies will only cover one specified location. In others, 100 percent coverage expires after 30 days. Some only cover major perils and not "rough handling or mysterious disappearance". If you are not sure, check with your agent.

___ Contact the Legal Office to complete a Will or Power of Attorney if necessary. Call 257-6142 for the scheduled days and hours for the type of service you need to receive. You may desire a "General Power of Attorney" which will give your designee unlimited authorization. Or you may desire a "Limited Power of Attorney" which will give your designee specific authorization to take care of the following:

___ Buying or selling a house

___ Shipment of household goods

___ Shipment or registration of a vehicle

___ Child care

___ Medical authorization

___ Arrangement for termination or assignment to government quarters

___ Contact your financial institution regarding their policy on spouses taking care of certain financial matters in the absence of the active duty member (i.e. cashing government check, tax refund, etc.).

___ Military Pay - A Power Of Attorney will only allow the holder to obtain information about the members pay account and change an address for the LES and net pay advice.

___ Prepare a general inventory by room, closet, attic, garage, etc., of all household and personal possessions, both for your own use, and so that you will be able to make an accurate estimate of their value for insurance purposes. Take pictures/video tape of high value items and record their make, model and serial numbers. Remember to include books, pictures, silver, china, glassware, linens, clothing, tools, sports and hobby equipment, musical instruments, and cameras, as well as furniture, lamps, rugs, curtains, etc.

___ Assist the children in the inventory of their rooms. Talk with them about the small toy or game to take in their suitcase and help them decide which ones to ship with the household goods.

___ Survey your possessions so that you can have items repaired and cleaned that you plan to put into storage or ship to your overseas location.

___ Obtain a written appraisal for valuable items such as antiques, jewelry, furs and paintings. To obtain an appraisal, check with a professional who deals in the kind of valuables you have.

___ Use a video camera to record the condition of household furnishings and appliances. Electrical equipment should be recorded while operating (i.e. TV on, stereo playing, microwave in use).


___ If you are making a Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move, contact the rental company and arrange to lease a truck. Have an estimated weight of your shipment so they can help you rent the right size truck. If you plan on using a trailer, check the compatibility of trailer hitches with your vehicle. Remember, YOU MUST CONTACT TMO TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DITY PROGRAM.

___ Keep cleaning and sorting. Remember charitable organizations such as the Junior Enlisted Member (JEM) closet. Keep receipts for tax time.

___ Use up things you can't move, such as food, cleaning supplies and flammable items.

___ Update and renew as necessary all driver's licenses and I.D. cards

___ Arrange for absentee voting ballot or obtain the address where you can write for ballots.

___ Keep talking about the move with your family. Honesty is essential. Children, as well as adults, need time to deal with feelings of loss and separation.

___ Make a list of everyone who needs to know your new address.

___ Auto Insurance Company

___ Friends and family

___ Creditors

___ Subscriptions

___ Doctors and dentists

___ Post Office

___ Department of Motor Vehicles/Revenue Department

___ Bank

___ Investment firms

___ Federal and State income tax offices

___ Obtain a change of address kit (for Dorms & General Delivery) from the Postal Service Center (PSC) and fill out the cards. You may need to do this twice if using temporary quarters at the next base. Postage can be paid for up to twenty change of address cards for all areas listed above except for friends and family. Bring a copy of your orders and change of address cards to the PSC located in Kittyhawk Area, Bldg 1044, 257-6523. Regular Post Office number is 257-4458.

___ Establish a bank account at the new base. You can do this by mail or by phone normally.

___ Obtain the address to write to for state income tax forms and information. Unless your new station is within the state you pay taxes, it may be difficult for you to obtain the necessary forms.

___ DITY movers should start packing those items that are not used on a frequent basis. Remember to mark boxes as to their content and in which room it belongs.



___ Plan for plants. Plants do not travel well and are not allowed overseas and many states have restrictions. Sell them at a garage sale or use as "thank you's" to friends.

___ Use up your chemical cleaners, solvents, paint, etc. These materials should not be poured down the drain. Dispose of them properly or give them to your neighbors if you have no further use for them. You can also take them to the Recycling Center (call 74889) or Waste Management (call 77152.)

___ Determine how much money you will be required to have on hand when you arrive at your next duty station. You will need sufficient funds for housing, utilities, food, temporary lodging, etc.

___ Have a going away party for the children, and another for yourself and friends. Help the children assemble a list of addresses and phone numbers of their friends so they may keep in touch.

___ Plan vacation time or do some sightseeing along your route of travel to make the move more exciting. Write tourist agencies and the National Park Service to find out what there is to see along the way or access the internet. If you are a member of AAA Auto Club, they will provide information free.

___ Call the Accounting & Finance Office (257-3202) at least 30 days prior to your out-processing to set up a PCS out pay and travel briefing. An appointment is needed. Bring five copies of your orders to the briefing. Up to three months advanced pay may be authorized. Check with the travel pay section concerning details and other benefits for which you may be entitled. Be sure of your mode of travel (car, airplane) when discussing advanced travel to avoid over payment.

___ Contact your Relocation Manager at Outbound Assignments to make an appointment for final out-process. Double check on what you will have to bring with you for your appointment. You should have your flight dates (port call) by now, if not, contact your outbound agents.


___ Advance Travel Pay may be requested 20 days prior to your PCS, however, it cannot be paid until 10 days prior to the move.

___ Notify utilities and home services of disconnect dates.

___ Electric

___ Gas

___ Water/Sewer

___ Garbage

___ Telephone

___ Cable TV

___ Newspaper

___ Arrange for closure or transfer of charge accounts.

___ Account ___________________ With ___________________

___ Account ___________________ With ___________________

___ Account ___________________ With ___________________

___ Account ___________________ With ___________________

___ Account ___________________ With ___________________

___ Check bank procedures for transferring funds or closing the account. Get a letter of credit or have enough cash available for the new location for deposits, rent, etc. DO NOT close out your present bank account (if changing direct deposit) until your pay has changed to your new bank.

___ Obtain a map. Discuss with the family where you are going, when you will be leaving, how long it will take and where to stop along the way.

___ Ten days prior to out-processing, check with Military Personnel Flight (MPF). If you are flying, you will be instructed to pick up tickets no later than three days prior to your last day of out-processing.

___ BE AWARE OF MOVING STRESS ON THE FAMILY. Are any family members showing signs of tension? (Snappiness, shock, irritable, rapid mood swings, depression, withdrawn, lack of interest in participating in activities with friends and family, etc.) This is normal. Be patient. If the stress is getting out of hand, call or visit the Base Health & Wellness Center, AFRC or Family Advocacy to get help or call 257-9896, 257-3592, or 257-4608 respectively.



___ Verify pickup schedules on household goods and hold baggage with TMO.

___ Retrieve items from the cleaners.

___ Empty and close-out safety deposit box.

___ Have the car serviced/tuned up for the trip. Check oil, water, battery, belts, hoses, brakes, tires, and all fluid levels.

___ Return borrowed items and library books. Collect items you have loaned out.

___ Take pets to the vet for required vaccinations and certificates. Get copies of their medical records.

___ Prepare to get the house cleaned for inspection.

___ Obtain copies of civilian medical, dental and school records.

___ Check luggage and make necessary repairs. Check the locks and make sure you have more than one key for each piece.

___ Purchase new luggage as needed. Buy lightweight, but durable pieces; remember they will probably travel half way around the world.

___ Make necessary travel arrangements, motel reservations, etc. Visit Passenger Travel Section of TMO if travel is via air.

___ If you are renting your home to someone while PCS, check on your insurance coverage with your agent. Explain to the renter exactly what your insurance covers for the house, and that the renter is responsible for their own renters insurance to cover personal liability and the protection of their personal household goods.


___ If you requested advance travel pay, remember to finalize any arrangements. This money can be sent directly to your bank, with the use of a deposit slip from the back of your checkbook.



___ Settle your outstanding bills.

___ Drain any used oil from your lawn mower and other power equipment and take in a suitable container to the Recycling Center (Bldg 293 & 866, Area A, 257-4889) for proper disposal.

___ Contact the Waste Management Branch (257-7152) to find out where to properly dispose of any flammable/hazardous waste (i.e. weed killers, paints, turpentine, solvents, aerosols, cleaning products, anti-freeze, etc.)

___ Obtain travelers checks for trip expenses.

___ Take down curtains, rods, shelves, the TV antenna, etc., that will be shipped. Remove items from attics, crawl spaces, or similar storage areas. It is your responsibility to make these items accessible to the movers.

___ Cancel your newspaper subscription.

___ Pick up medical records. Personnel must first drop off copy of orders.

___ Unless you have an Authorization of Release, the sponsor cannot pick up the medical records of his/her spouse or dependents age 18 years or older.

___ Active duty - Bring one copy of your orders to Medical Records. The records will be given to you to hand carry to your next base (MPF will place records in a sealed envelope).

___ Pediatric Records will be mailed to next duty station after member drops off orders.

___ Pick up dental records on the second floor of the Dental Clinic.

___ Arrange child care for packing and moving day. Call the Child Development Center  to check on drop in child care or Family Day Care Homes availability. Shot records and birth certificates are required so keep these items accessible during the packing process (Family Records File). Also, Childcare for PCS is available for both departing and arriving families. Authorized users can apply for 20 hours of free childcare upon their arrival and or departure from Wright-Patt.

___ An AF Form 2606, Request for Child Care, may be completed and sent to the Child Development Center at your new duty station in advance of your arrival. This will give the new Child Development Center advance notice of your anticipated need for child care, and place you on the waiting list, if appropriate.

___ Keep listening carefully to your children's questions. Give them frequent reassurance; children need the security you provide when the security of a home is diminishing.

___ Double check your FAMILY RECORDS FILE and place it in a briefcase for hand-carrying.


___ Copies of your orders

___ Duplicates of your luggage/car/other important keys

___ Home inventory/video tape/snapshots/appraisals/receipts of household goods

___ Off base medical, dental and school records

___ Phone numbers of family and friends

___ Extra set(s) of checks from your checking account


___ Before the movers arrive to pack your possessions for shipment and/or storage, disconnect all major appliances (stove, refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.). Empty the refrigerator so it can dry at least 24 hours before the movers arrive.

___ Dismantle any electronic equipment, outdoor play equipment, etc.

___ Audio and video equipment and personal computers require special attention. Always consult your owner's manual for specific instructions.

___ Use tape to code wiring for easier reinstallation.

___ Clean VCR heads before use in your new home.

___ Remove pictures and mirrors from walls and group together.

___ Place valuables, cash or jewelry, purses, and FAMILY RECORDS FILE in a safe, inaccessible (to packers) place (lock in car trunk).

___ Place all high value collectibles, such as Lladros, Hummels, Bossons, Precious Moments, etc., in one central location or if available the original boxes. This enables you to observe the packing and ensure the items are packed carefully and properly.

___ Separate items into "Hand Carried and Luggage", "Hold Baggage", "Storage", "Shipment" and "Professional" categories.

___ Give a copy of your travel plans with date, route, and phone numbers to your supervisor, orderly room, sponsor, relatives, etc.

___ Allow children to choose one small toy/book/game for carry on luggage, one for suitcase, and several small pieces for hold-baggage. They may even wish to pack one box of non-breakable items. They may put their name and draw a picture on the side of the box to feel a part of the move.

___ Ship by "Unaccompanied Baggage" for overseas tour, items that will enable you to set up light housekeeping once at your new base since it might be 1- 4 months before your surface shipment arrives. Suggested items: iron, dishes, silverware, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, linens, bedding materials, clothing appropriate to climate changes over several months, a few of the kids favorite toys, a telephone, etc.

___ If traveling within the US (CONUS), keep out of your shipment, for use both before departure and after arrival at your new base, items such as sleeping bags, coffee pot, cooking utensils, silverware, dishes, an alarm clock, a telephone, night-light, uniforms, etc. Family Services does have many of these things in their Loan Closet, but they will be in high demand with all those PCSing.

___ Make sure all dishes and utensils are clean and all trash has been removed from your home. PACKERS WILL PACK EVERYTHING IN THE CONDITION IT IS IN!!

___ Pack a "moving day needs" box with cleaning supplies, sponges, paper towels, toilet and facial tissue, bath towels, bath soap, shampoo, can opener, paper plates, napkins, plastic eating utensils, snacks, coffee, tea, sodas, light bulbs, scissors, hammer and trash bags. PLACE WHERE PACKERS WILL NOT PACK IT!!


___ Check with MPF to make sure all your records are there for the final out-processing appointment. If you are flying, pick up your tickets at TMO Passenger Travel.


___ Drop kids off for childcare. Place pets in a safe place.

___ Watch the packers very carefully to see that they understand and know exactly which items are to be packed. You can indicate this by putting different colored stickers on each item or separate the items by rooms.

___ You may wish to keep a record of the contents of each carton being packed. This may make it easier to locate specific items upon their arrival at your next base. If any cartons are missing, it will be possible to determine quickly what is missing. (NOTE: The packers do move fast. You cannot hold up the packers while accomplishing this list.)

___ Read all packing documents prior to signing.

___ Check to see that the condition of your possessions are correctly reflected on the inventory. The exact location of existing scratches, worn or marred places should be clearly indicated.

___ Be certain that every container or crated item has the moving company's inventory tag or tape on it and that each item has been listed on the moving company's inventory.

___ Watch the packing of the wood and metal crates used for sea shipments. This is done by lift vans at your doorstep. Be sure everything is protected against slippage, concussions and friction. The heaviest items should be at the bottom of the van.

___ Mirrors, paintings and other items easily damaged or broken should be packed by the moving company personnel.

___ Have your vacuum ready to clean bed rails, piano backs and other hard-to-move-items. REMINDER: Remove vacuum bag before loading.

___ Pack your phone book. It may be helpful for names or addresses later.

___ Be sure your copy of the moving company's inventory is legible. (This inventory will not be as detailed as the one you made earlier.)

___ Place a copy of the packer's inventory, stored possessions, baggage receipts in the FAMILY RECORDS FILE.

___ If you live in on-base housing, prepare for your final inspection by using the cleaning checklist provided by the Housing Management Office. If you live off-base, clean your rental unit using instructions provided by your landlord and arrange for your check-out inspection.

___ Observe the packer who is preparing the inventory. Make sure the codes he/she is placing next to the furniture item describes the pre-existing damage. Are the descriptions accurate? Have the writer show you the damage and, if it exists, annotate the extent of damage (small, minute, medium, etc.).

___ Before leaving the house, check each room and closet, make sure windows are closed and locked, lights are out and exterior doors are locked.

___ Before signing the inventory, READ IT CAREFULLY. Are all your items listed accurately? Does there appear to be excessive pre-existing damages listed? Make sure your inventory specifically lists computers, TVs, VCRs, stereo components, and associated tapes, CDs and software.

If you disagree with any description on the inventory annotate in the remarks section on the page where the conflict is. If an item is not listed that you feel should be, annotate in the remarks section. When you sign the inventory, you are stating that you agree with everything that is written on it.

___ SMILE!!! You have done a superb job of getting organized!!!


___ Keep a log of all moving expenses as they occur. This will be helpful at tax time. Keep all receipts. If not needed, you can discard later.

If you and your family are traveling separately, keep two logs. Include these items:

___ Rental cars ___ Meals

___ Air/Bus/Rail fares ___ Rent deposits

___ Gasoline receipts ___ Utility deposits

___ Accurate mileage records ___ Installation charges

___ While traveling, billeting is available at many military installations on a space available basis. If billeting is not available have a back up alternative.

___ Let each day flow with the daily plan.

___ INFANTS have few concerns outside their immediate environment. They take their "cues" from you (are you angry and frustrated or relaxed and content?).

___ YOUNG CHILDREN do best when kept on the same eating and sleeping routine. Introduce new sights and sounds with patience.

___ ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CHILDREN may be losing their first friends. Allow for expressions of grief in daily decisions.

___ Hints for traveling with children:

___ Young children have a natural wariness of the unknown. Including them in the planning can help allay fears.

___ Stick to your child's usual bedtime and mealtimes, and read his or her favorite story. Unpack the minute you arrive so everyone feels at home.

___ Balance your day, making plenty of time for a romp in the park or other relaxing activities. Even when having fun, children have a limited attention span.

___ Call ahead to confirm hotel/motel services for children, such as cribs and/or cots.

___ Packing pointers: Take one small bag per person. Let each child take only one special toy. Don't forget a first-aid kit, with disinfectant, band-aids, etc. Tuck in a nylon folding suitcase - great for lugging home your souvenirs or dirty laundry.


___ Upon arrival at your new station, check with the Housing Office before you rent, lease, or buy a home. Their office will provide you with information on rental agreements, housing restrictions, military clause contracts, and hints on buying and inspecting a new home. This is one of the most important stops. You and your spouse should both attend.

___ Contact the destination TMO as soon as possible to let them know you are in the area. Provide instructions for your household goods and give a good contact number.

___ Visit Family Services for loan closet needs.

___ Check in at the Postal Service Center (PSC) window to complete AF Form 624, Base/Unit Locator and PCS Directory. Mail is held 15 days past the Report Not Later Than Date (RNLTD) unless you process through PSC. Provide names of all dependents.

___ You will be given a mandatory appointment to attend "Newcomers Orientation" as you in-process through the MPF Office. Your spouse is also invited and strongly encouraged to attend the orientation. Take advantage of Welcome Packages; visit the Chamber of Commerce; visit the AFRC and Services facilities; tour your new base.

___ Have a diagram of your new home. Sketch what furniture goes where. List what boxes go into which room. Put a diagram on the door of each room.

___ Make arrangements for child care for the day your household goods will be delivered. Use the Child Care for PCS program. Ask your AFRC about it. It is free!!

___ Try to be your moving company's first customer of the day. Generally the movers are more careful in the morning than later in the day when they are tired and in a hurry. Their regular work hours are 0800-1700.

___ Take off the front door. Normally you can just remove the pins from the hinges. This makes for much easier access and reduces the potential for scratched and marked furniture.

___ Have someone (a mature child might do) check off the inventory items as they are unloaded. Set this individual between the truck and the house in a chair with a clipboard. Have the movers call off each inventory number as it's unloaded.

___ Movers have been paid to unpack everything. Don't let them fluster you. However, if your move is going well you may not want them to totally unpack all the dish-packs. You can sign the contract with a statement that says "exception of damage to concealed goods". You can claim damage noted after the movers have left. You can also ask the manager if they can come back in a couple of days to unpack. Work this arrangement out with the carrier. It is a good idea, however, to have the movers open in your presence, those boxes with expensive items such as electronics or figurines. If you see something missing, itemize it on the delivery forms.

___ The movers have also been paid to re-assemble all furniture and toys that they disassembled for shipment. Watch them carefully! Sometimes they use a hammer when a wrench will do. Have a set of tools handy. You can ask them to come back another day for some things. Work an agreement out with the carrier.

___ The moving company is required to remove and discard all excess packing materials and boxes at your request.

___ On delivery day meet the packers. Check and double check that everything on your inventory is accounted for and in proper condition. If you have loss or damage to your household goods, complete the 1840R and return to the claims office within 70 days of delivery of your goods.

DO NOT REPAIR, REPLACE OR DISPOSE OF DAMAGED GOODS PRIOR TO FILING YOUR CLAIM AND CONSULTING WITH THE CLAIMS OFFICE. Call the Claims Office at your new base as soon as you know you have damage or loss to your property.

___ If at all possible, have your spouse or another adult there with you when your household items are delivered. If you are PCSing from an overseas assignment, your spouse MUST be there to sign the customs declarations.

___ Encourage all family members to help with choices about decorating. This promotes family togetherness and helps everyone feel comfortable with their new surroundings.

___ Set aside family time to restore family routines. Re-establish special activities like "pizza night" or the weekly religious service.

___ Get acquainted with your new neighbors and community. Get a map and tour your new town.

___ Look through the local phone book - especially the yellow pages.

___ Volunteer at the school, hospital and service agencies. Volunteering is a good way to meet other people.

___ If your spouse is looking for a job, visit the Airman & Family Readiness Flight for resume and or employment assistance.

___ Some children see moving to a new school as a pleasant experience, others anticipate change with real fear. One way a parent can help a child to adjust to a new school is to tour the school with the child, pointing out the classrooms, cafeteria, restrooms, playground and other areas. This will ease some of the anxiety and keep the child from feeling lost. Introducing the child to the teachers and a few classmates will help. Make sure they are dressed in an outfit that will boost their self-confidence on a difficult day. Take time to listen to your children's new experiences each day.

___ All items that are missing or damaged will be listed on the DD Form 1840. DO NOT LET THE DRIVER TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN DO IT LATER. You want to list as many exceptions as possible at delivery and on the carrier's copy of the DD Form 1840. IF THERE IS AN EXTREMELY LARGE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE, CONTACT TMO IMMEDIATELY.

___ Inspect furniture as it is unloaded from the truck. Are there any new damages? Be specific as to the type and location of damage.

___ Ensure the driver gives you 3 copies of the DD Form 1840.

___ After packers leave, annotate all damages found afterwards on the reverse side of the DD Form 1840. If the driver used the reverse side, obtain another set from the Claims Section of the Legal Office.

You have 70 days from date of delivery to submit additional damages to the Claims Office. You do not need receipts, replacement costs, repair costs, etc., to accomplish this. The DD Form 1840 is the only notification of damages and the intent to file a claim.


Moving day madness! How to ease the strain of the first 24-48 hours after a move? One way: pack a 48 hour survival kit. All the bare necessities will be on hand while you adjust to your new home and job.

Each survival kit should be well labeled and carried in your car or loaded last on the moving van, to be unloaded first. Ideas:


*salt and pepper shakers

*paper plates, cups, bowls

*plastic eating utensils

*frying pan & saucepan

*can opener


*serving spoon

*plastic pitcher

*shelf paper

*aluminum foil

*containers for leftovers two days


*instant drinks


*dry cereal


*peanut butter & jelly

*canned or boxed food

(spaghetti, mac & cheese)

*dish washing detergent

*dish towels



*toilet paper




*toothpaste & toothbrushes

*hair dryer

*personal toiletries - brush, comb, shaving cream, razor, deodorant, etc.


*alarm clock


*sheets, blankets, pillows

*complete outfits for the entire family (don't forget socks, underwear and shoes)


*kitchen & bathroom cleaner

*broom, mop, dustpan


*light bulbs

*socket covers (for small children)

*paper towels

*trash bags


*flashlight (batteries included)

*hammer, screwdriver, screws & nails

Fact Sheet prepared by Airmen & Family Readiness Flight.  
For updates contact:
88 Air Base Wing Public Affairs
(937) 522-3252

 Inside WPAFB

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerSpecial Topics


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act