Colonel Elena M. Oberg is the Vice Commander of the 88th Air Base Wing at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. The 88th Air Base Wing is the largest air base wing in the Air Force with more than 5,400 officers and enlisted Airmen, Air Force civilians and contractor employees. The wing provides support and services to the largest, most diverse, and most organizationally complex base in the Air Force including a major acquisition center, research and development laboratories, a major command headquarters, an airlift wing, and the world's largest military air museum. The base is home to more than 27,000 military, government civilian, and contractor employees and associate units.
Colonel Oberg was commissioned in 1993 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps. She has served in a variety of space acquisition, operations and command assignments including leading the mission team responsible for hardware delivery and successful launch of the first Titan IVB, leading a 140-person joint space operations crew providing simultaneous support to warfighters around the world and helping acquire the nation's next generation imaging satellite system. Colonel Oberg is a certified Senior Operations Controller and holds several acquisition certifications.
1993 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind.
1998 Squadron Officer's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College (Seminar), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Science in Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2009 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1993 - July 1995, Titan Requirements Integration Manager, Titan System Program Office, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
2. July 1995 - June 1997, Titan IVB Mission Manager, Launch Programs, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. July 1997 - January 1999, Chief, Current Operations and Senior Watch Officer, JIATF-South J3, Howard AFB, Panama
4. January 1999 - July 1999, Executive Officer, 24th Operations Group, Howard AFB, Panama
5. July 1999 - March 2002, Spacecraft Engineering and Operations Integration Manager, Aerospace Data Facility, Buckley AFB, Colo.
6. March 2002 - July 2003, Flight Commander/Mission Director, Aerospace Data Facility, Buckley AFB, Colo.
7. August 2003 - March 2005, IDE Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. April 2005 - December 2005, Chief, Future Imagery Architecture Requirements Branch, Future Imagery Architecture Program Office, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
9. January 2006 - June 2008, Chief, Requirements and Baseline Management Branch, then Deputy Chief, Systems Engineering Division, Reconnaissance Systems Office, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
10. July 2008 - May 2010, Commander, 30 Launch Support Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
11. May 2010 - May 2012, Commander, Cadet Group 2, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
12. June 2012 - June 2013, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2013 - April 2015, Chief, Space and C4 Cyber Branch, Deputy Directorate for Resources and Acquisitions, Joint Staff J8, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2015 - present, Vice Commander, 88th Air Base Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Reconnaissance Office Silver Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1993
First Lieutenant July 20, 1995
Captain July 20, 1997
Major December 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2007
Colonel September 1, 2013
(Current as of June 2015)